Following are the steps to install and deploy a patched parcel received from Cloudera Support.
Download the Patched Parcel
1. Download the .parcel and the associated manifest.json
- Both files are necessary
- Do not edit the manifest.json
2. Create a local server to host the .parcel and manifest.json so that Cloudera Manager sees and ingests them to its own Parcel Repository.
3. The Cloudera Documentation details a Local Parcel Repository:
Method 1: Creating a Temporary Repository:
- Download the patched .parcel and manifest.json as provided in a secure link from Cloudera Support
- Copy the .parcel and manifest.json to a desired location on the server.
This is the directory from which the Python SimpleHTTPServer serves out files:
$ mkdir /tmp/parcel
$ cp /home/user/Downloads/patchparcel/CDH-4.5.0.p234.parcel /tmp/parcel/
$ cp /home/user/Downloads/patchparcel/manifest.json /tmp/parcel/
- Determine a port that the system is not listening on (for example, port 8900). This is passed into the SimpleHTTPServer command below.
- Start a Python SimpleHTTPServer to serve these two files from the newly created directory:
$ cd /tmp/parcel
$ python -m SimpleHTTPServer 8900
Serving HTTP on 0.0.0.0 port 8900 ...
- Confirm this hosted parcel directory is reachable by going to http://<server>:<port> using a browser. The links for the .parcel and the manifest.json display as shown in the screenshot below.
Configuring Cloudera Manager to use the Repository:
Add the server as a Remote Parcel Repository in Cloudera Manager:
- In the Cloudera Manager Admin Console, go to Administration > Settings > Parcels
- Under Remote Parcel Repository URLs, click the + to add a new URL
- Enter http://<server>:<port> in the new location
- Click Save Changes
Download, Distribute and/or Activate the Patch Parcel:
- Use the published instructions in Using Parcels to set the Cloudera Manager.
- Check for New Parcels to cause Cloudera Manager to find this patch parcel and note that it is available in the temporary SimpleHTTPServer.
Method 2: Using /opt/cloudera/parcel-repo directory on the Cloudera Manager Server
1. Copy the .patch file under /opt/cloudera/parcel-repo directory on the Cloudera Manager Server
2. $ sha1sum /opt/cloudera/parcel-repo/CDH-patch-file.parcel | cut -d ‘ ‘ -f 1 > /opt/cloudera/parcel-repo/CDH-patch-file.parcel.sha
3. $ chown cloudera-scm:cloudera-scm /opt/cloudera/parcel-repo/CDH-patch-file
4. In Cloudera Manager check for Patch Parcel to appear
Note: replace CDH-patch-file.parcel with the actual filename of the .patch file